The last few months have been crazy. Marathon training took up so much space in my brain, and then we had the GOTR Nashville 5K and The Big Payback, etc. etc.
One of my favorite people in the world, Brooke, told me that she has a special term for May; 'CRAYMAY'. CrayMay INDEED.
Butternut Squash Pasta is one of my go-tos when we need a good substantial dinner in a short amount of time. Super delicious, easy, and quick! You probably already have several of the ingredients on hand. The only ingredient I usually have to buy is the butternut squash.
It also includes three of my favorite accouterments. Fresh herbs, lemons, and roasted hazelnuts. I used rosemary, Italian oregano, lemon thyme, thyme, and mint. Seen below are my friends, from left to right, Italian oregano and lemon thyme. A little picked over because I like putting herbs on everything.
If you're growing herbs right now, be sure to pinch off your herbs from the top first to encourage them to grow out, producing more leaves, rather than up! My thyme has these tiny, beautiful, purple blooms right now, which I am so excited about. I'm keeping my eyes open for honey bees!
Make this tasty dish and take some with you for lunch the next day! It makes great leftovers, which is another reason we love it so much! Have people over for dinner in your backyard to celebrate Spring! Let me know what you think!! Leave a comment below, or post a photo on Instagram, tag me, and use #itsallofit!! HAPPY SPRING!!!
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PASTA WITH CHICKPEAS, ROASTED HAZELNUTS AND HERBS
Recipe Author: Corrie Anderson
Recipe Type: Lunch or Dinner! Makes great leftovers!
- Cooked pasta + water from the pasta (at least 1-2 cups)
- 1 half of a large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced!
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Fresh herbs, finely chopped (mint, rosemary, oregano, thyme)
- 2 cups, unsalted cooked Chickpeas
- Salt and Pepper
- Roasted Hazelnuts
- Cook your pasta. Be sure to add plenty of salt to the water. I add the pasta before the water boils, in my opinion it makes the pasta water a bit starchier. The starchy water helps to bind the pasta to the sauce. Save at least 1-2 cups of the pasta water.
- Add three tablespoons of olive oil to a saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 – 5 minutes. Then add the butternut squash and red pepper flakes, cook for about 5 minutes and then add 1-cup pasta cooking liquid and ½ cup vegetable broth. Cook until the butternut squash is soft, and your pasta sauce thickens. You might need more pasta water.
- Add the pasta to the saucepan and stir. At this point add the lemon zest, lemon juice, freshly grated Parmesan, chickpeas, and finely chopped herbs. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts, herbs, and freshly grated Parmesan if you so desire.
Serving Size: 1 Cals: 495 Fat: 8g St. Fat: 3g Carbs: 62 g Sugar: 7g Sodium: 315 mg Fiber: 13g Protein: 18g Vitamin A: 126% Vitamin C: 30% Iron: 26%