Life has been jam packed lately. The past couple of months have been a little tougher than normal.
You know what hasn't been tough?
Finding a quick and healthy meal to eat for lunch and dinner during busy times. Breakfast too, just put an egg on it!
This recipe has been my go to recipe for years!! It is super quick, easy, and nutritious! It will be the perfect addition to your life during these next couple weeks when everyone seems to have delicious holiday candy and cookies on hand.
See that photo above? You are halfway to eating at this point.
Last Spring, while training for my first marathon, I made this at lunch time before Girls on the Run, stopped home before a class I was taking that started at 6:00 pm to let the dogs out and ate another quick helping.
Back then I was actually taking the time to peel and dice the sweet potatoes, drizzle them with olive oil and herbs, and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
Then I'd roast them, which sometimes involved flipping the sweet potato pieces over halfway. Now I just rinse them off, poke them with a fork, wrap them in a towel, and throw them into the microwave.
Did I mention that this recipe is SUPER healthy for you too? Check out some of the nutritional highlights below! (A major perk for me at the moment is the iron content...)
What an elegant sweet potato by the way --- > looks like a heart.
This recipe makes fantastic leftovers and lunches!! I like making this on Monday and then eating it for the rest of the week. You can precook the sweet potato and warm it up with the grains and beans, or you can cook it at work too! If you're using an avocado, you may want to wait and slice it right before you eat.
Start the holidays off on a healthy foot by making this for dinner or bringing it to work for lunch! If you do, please let me know what you think or if you have any questions! Leave me a comment below! Make sure you're following me on Instagram @corrielanderson , post a photo of your beautiful creation, tag me, and use #itsallofit!
Quinoa, Black Beans, and Sweet Potato with Spicy Lime Sauce
(aka: Easiest and Healthy Lunch and Dinner EVER)
Recipe Author: Corrie Anderson
Recipe Type: EASIEST Lunch, Dinner, even Breakfast
Serves: 1 or 2
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked (optional)
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 fresh avocado, diced or sliced
- 6 - 8 cherry tomatoes, halved (seasonal)
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon, roasted sunflower seeds
- variety of fresh herbs (cilantro, oregano, basil, thyme) chopped
- Rinse sweet potato and poke with a fork several times on all sides. Wrap in slightly damp, clean kitchen towel. Pop in the microwave for 2 minutes, turn over, and cook for 2 more minutes. Cook until soft. Let sweet potato cool off before peeling the skin off. You can slice sweet potato or scoop and mash, its up to you!
- Add quinoa (and rice if you're using it) and beans to bowl, drizzle sauce over the top. Then add sweet potato, cherry tomatoes (if they're in season), and avocado. Sprinkle sunflower seeds and hemp seeds over top.
Spicy Lime Sauce
Recipe Author: Corrie Anderson
Recipe Type: Use as dressing or a sauce
Serves: 4 - 5
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- sprinkle of kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
To make sauce, start by zesting the lime and then juice it. Pour juice into a small container, add olive oil, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Shake!