Happy Fourth of July everyone!!!
We started off the day with the Music City 10K/5K, which was so much fun, although I'm pretty sure they strategically fit in every single hill possible. There were a few raindrops on mile 2 that felt amazing on this wonderfully humid day.
I did the 10K, Chris did the 5K, and this photo was taken about 2 minutes after I crossed the finish line, hence the red face! We were in a hurry to make it to the grocery store before it got super crowded.
In addition to the 4th of July, it is also my 6th 4th of July here in Nashville, and my 4 month anniversary with Grilled Romaine, which I thought would be the perfect third addition to my Red, White, and Blue series.
The first time I learned about Grilled Romaine, I did not think it would be that good. My mind went to wilty soggy spinach on hot sandwiches. NO ONE likes that.
The only thing I really ever use romaine for is my Green Goblins, or green smoothies as most people call them.
Kind of like our grill, it gets used for steak, veggie burgers, and the occasional vegetable. We are getting more creative, and trying to expand our use of the grill. For example, GRILLED PIZZA. If you haven't tried it yet, you should REALLY get on it!
Grilled Romaine is divine. It has a slightly smokey flavor and remains fairly crispy after the grilling process. The olive oil, salt, and black pepper act as a sort of frosting. The granny smith apple matchsticks add an additional crisp, and for those who eat meat, the pancetta is a delightful salty addition.
This is a lovely dish to impress vegetarians and meat eaters alike. Skip the pancetta (salami works well too) for your vegetarian friends.
Add this recipe to your cookout menu!! If you do, please let me know how it turns out! It would make my day! Leave me a comment below, or take a photo of it, post it on Instagram, tag me @corrielanderson, and use #itsallofit!
Have a wonderful, safe, joyful 4th of July!
Recipe by: Corrie Anderson
Serves: 2 (Double for 4 servings)
Recipe Type: Side or Appetizer
- 3 Tbls red onion, chopped
- 3 Tbls red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 3 Tbls olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup olive oil + sea salt + black pepper
- 2 heads of romaine, cleaned and dried
- ½ of granny smith apple , chopped matchsticks
- Optional: 4 slices of pancetta (salami works too!)
- Clean grill grates. Preheat grill to 450 - 500 degrees.
- While grill is heating up, start making the dressing. Mix red onion, red wine vinegar, and mustard in a small bowl or jar. Whisk or shake until incorporated. Add olive oil and mix again.
- Cut romaine heads in half and trim off the bottom and very top. (hint: remove outer layers of romaine if they are damaged) Brush generously with mixture of olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Grill each side for 1 ½ - 2 minutes, or until charred. If using pancetta, grill at the same time following the same directions.
- Chop romaine and divide among 2 bowls. Sprinkle with apple matchsticks and grilled pancetta. Drizzle dressing on top. ENJOY THE HECK OUT OF IT!