We are not avid bourbon/whiskey drinkers. We've had two bottles in our cabinet for 2-3 years. I use one for Brûléed Bourbon-Maple Pumpkin Pie with gingersnap crust at Thanksgiving and the other one was a gift.
Then we went to dinner at our favorite place in the world, Rolf & Daughters.
We try to make it a point to try new things, especially when it comes to cocktails since we only know how to make, like, three to four cocktails. (Rhubarb Rumbler, Negroni, Gin & Tonic [does that even count??] and gin/st.germaine/grapefruit juice.)
Chris, ordered the Flat Cap which is bourbon + orange cream soda syrup + bitters. RIDICULOUS!!!
Then we went back and he had another one/I had half.
The next steps were obvious. I had to figure out how to make it. So here it is!!! Enjoy it during the heat of the summer!
I used TX Whiskey from Firestone & Robertson Distillery Co., a gift from our dear Texan friends, The Susewinds. It was our friend Eric's drink of choice. Eric passed away two years ago this week and his birthday is in a few days. Suse (as we called him) left behind quite a legacy, one full of love, support, determination, and most importantly, hilarity. It feels right to celebrate the wonderful gift of his life with a glass of his favorite! Maple syrup, brown sugar, or caramel. I can't decide how to describe the smell and taste of this golden liquid!
The hardest part (and its not even hard but it tastes so amazing that all of your friends will think you worked REALLY hard and are amazingly talented), is making the syrup. Heaven in a jar.
It makes a dark amber liquid that is full of vanilla bean specks. The syrup is not only delicious in cocktails, but could also be used over vanilla ice cream, in oatmeal, maybe even over pancakes. I haven't tried it over pancakes yet, but my mouth is watering just thinking about it, and now I'm probably going to have to try it tomorrow morning.
If you make this, let me know how it turns out!! Leave me a comment below! Take a photo so I can see your lovely creation, make sure you are following me on Instagram, @corrielanderson, tag me and use #itsallofit!
FLAT CAP COCKTAIL
Recipe Author: Corrie Anderson --> Inspired by the Flat Cap Cocktail at Rolf & Daughters
Recipe Type: Cocktail
- 2 oz bourbon or delicious whiskey
- 1 oz orange cream soda simple syrup (recipe below)
- 1-3 dashes of citrus bitters (Aromatic bitters in the fall!)
- Ice Cubes
- Orange peel
- Add all ingredients, except for the orange peel, to a shaker and SHAAAAAAKE it like a polaroid pictcha!
- Add orange peel.
- Pour into glass! ENJOY!
ORANGE CREAM SODA SIMPLE SYRUP
Recipe Author: Corrie Anderson
Makes about 2 cups, can be used for cocktails, over ice cream, in popsicles…
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water + 2 cups water
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
- Pour sugar and ¼ cup water into a medium sized pot. Heat over medium-high heat until sugar is carmelized.
- Very carefully, pour the rest of the water (2 cups), orange juice, orange zest into the pot. Then add the vanilla bean and vanilla seeds, and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from heat, and let mixture stand for at least one hour.
- Once syrup is cooled, remove orange peel and vanilla bean. Pour syrup into a glass, airtight container. Syrup will last for 2 – 3 weeks in the refrigerator.